- Frozen II Maintains Top Spot - UK Box Office Roundup 6-8th Dec 2019
- 5 Christmas Movies Rewritten According to Brexit and UK Politics
- 2020 Golden Globe Nominees - Full List
- Record 'Irishman' Numbers, Malick Movie Screened at Vatican, Awards for Kathleen Kennedy, Helen Mirren, More
- European Film Awards 2019 - Winners Full List
Just weeks after missing out on the role of Goose’s son to Miles Teller, Glen Powell has been cast in Paramount’s long-awaited Top Gun sequel, Maverick.
According to reports at THR, the search for Goose’s son came down to Teller and Powell in late June with each actor being invited to Tom Cruise’s home in Clearwater, Florida for final auditions. Teller was chosen for the role and consequently announced, but Cruise and producer Jerry Bruckheimer were so impressed by Powell that they’ve given him a different, yet to be revealed role and have even beefed up the part for him.
Powell is an up and coming actor whose rise to prominence includes roles in the Oscar nominated Hidden Figures and new Netflix rom-com Set It Up. Image credit: Getty.
The Top Gun sequel is set to be directed by Tron: Legacy’s Joseph Kosinski whom worked with Teller on Only the Brave (2017) and Cruise on Oblivion (2o13). The movie will be overseen by Paramount and Skydance. Thus far, Teller and Powell are the only new names confirmed for the film which is set to be released on 12th July 2019, with Tom Cruise – hot off the heels of the hugely successful Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018) – and Val Kilmer returning to their roles after what will be 33 years since the release of the original movie.