- The Last Thing He Wanted (2020) Review
- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) Review
- Sonic On Top for 2nd Week While Dolittle Hits No. 2 During Half-Term - UK Box Office Report
- 100 Years of 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari' - Is It Still Significant?
- No, You Are: Deconstructing Dinesh D'Souza's Interview with Richard Spencer
Venice International Film Festival have announced that the next movie from Whiplash director Damien Chazelle, ‘La La Land’, is set to open the festival on August 31st.
The movie, which is understood to be a modern take on classic Hollywood musicals, stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in the central roles with support from musician John Legend and Chazelle’s Whiplash collaborator JK Simmons.
As was the case with Whiplash, director Chazelle has also written ‘La La Land’ which is being produced by the collaborative efforts of Lionsgate, Black Label Media, Gilbert Films, Imposter Pictures and Marc Platt Productions ahead of an awards season release date.
Venice Artistic Director Alberto Barbera said the following in a statement accompanying the announcement:
“La La Land is a film that does not merely reinvent the musical genre, it gives it a brand new start. If Whiplash was the revelation of a new filmmaker, La La Land is his definitive, albeit precocious, consecration among the great directors of Hollywood’s new firmament.”